S02 : Ep. 09 : The Importance of failing forward with Shelby Parkes from Hillcrest Christian College
Listen to Episode
In this episode we wrap up season 2, with a unique conversation with Shelby Parkes (a Year 11 student from Hillcrest Christian College). Shelby humbly shares his perspective on overcoming the mindset of ‘failing’ and ‘flearning’ as a part of his school’s embedded and facilitated pedagogy. Shelby humbly shares how his approach to ‘fail forward’ is paving the pathway for him to overcome perfectionism as well as how to approach his learning with a growth mindset. We discuss the various challenges from a student’s point of view of walking through this journey of failing forward, towards success. This unique episode is full of insights and answers to questions such as – the definition of failing forward, how and why is it an important ingredient towards future success and tailored advice for educators and students walking through the same journey!
Shelby Parkes is a year 11 student at Hillcrest Christian College on the Gold Coast. Through a strong and dedicated work ethic, he has achieved exemplary results throughout his senior studies. His current academic focus is driven by the application of maths and science to design and engineering. Shelby is aspiring to become an engineer possibly in the aeronautical or mechanical division. Outside of his academic pursuits, Shelby has had a part time job at a pizza restaurant and has invested in hobbies such as tennis, mountain biking, fishing and the electric guitar.
- S03 : Ep. 22 : Investing in the 21st Century with Nathan Birch
- S03 : Ep. 21 : The 5 Inner Critics and how these Design our life
- S03 : Ep. 18 : Mindfulness in 21st Century Education with Amy Lou Wilson
- S03 : Ep. 17 : The Future of Visualisation in Design with Christopher Nichols
- S03 : Ep. 16 : Designing Ethical Communication with Ryan Tuckwood
- S03 : Ep. 15 : Autodesk’s Future of Making and the AEC Industry with Adam Walmsley